Help and Advice
How can we help?
At Filcris we aim to provide you with the guidance you need to both select the correct plastic wood product for your project and get the most out of your purchase. We have basic guidance in this section about the products. There is further information about how to work with the material in the Home and Landscaping sections. We will be continuing to develop specific guidance notes for our range of products, which will be added to our website as they are completed.
What is Recycled Plastic Made From?
Most of the recycled plastic wood products we sell are made mainly from High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) from both post-consumer and post-industrial sources (called feedstock) in the UK.
Some other products are made in other countries in the EU, mainly Germany. There may be other plastics and other materials incorporated during production, and variation in the purity of feedstock is reflected in different prices for similar profiles. The exceptions are
- Stokbord® made from Low-Density Polyethylene (LDPE), very similar to HDPE but more flexible.
- Sealwise® made from recycled PVC.
- Densetec® partially or completely composed of virgin (i.e. non-recycled) HDPE and is made in the USA.
How is Recycled Plastic Wood different to Composite products?
Recycled plastic wood products are made entirely from recycled and recyclable plastic, with no additional wood shavings, wood flour or timber by-products used at all.
Composite plastic wood products, also known as wood-plastic composites (WPC), are made from a combination of wood fibres or wood flour and thermoplastics, typically recycled polyethylene (PE), polypropylene (PP), or polyvinyl chloride (PVC).
Recycled plastic wood products impact more positively from an environmental perspective as they use recycled plastic materials, reducing the demand for virgin plastics and promoting recycling.
Composite plastic wood products also have a positive environmental aspect as they incorporate recycled plastic and often use wood fibres from sustainable sources. However, they may have a slightly higher environmental impact due to the manufacturing process that involves both wood and plastic materials. They are also harder to recycle at the end of their life.
Filcris does not currently sell any composite products.
What are the characteristics of Recycled Plastic (HDPE / LDPE) used in our products?
- Recycled PE is a tough material which has a very high impact resistance
- It will not rot or degrade in water. It is not affected by salt water.
- It incorporates UV stabilisers and has an estimated life span of more than 40 years before it begins to degrade in sunlight and many, many more years before that process has any structural impacts.
- It is much more flexible than timber. This can be beneficial when it is used for path edging or similar applications where curves are useful.
- Because it is more flexible than wood timber you will generally need to use smaller spans than a similar timber project. If you have any doubts email us or call 01954 718327 and we will be happy to discuss your project.
What About Composite?
We do not currently sell any composite products.
Need some advice?
Our team of experts are here to help!